Shropshire & Staffordshire Blood Bikes
An Emergency Volunteer Service providing emergency transportation of blood products, for free, to NHS hospitals across Shropshire, Staffordshire and South Cheshire. Registered Charity Number: 1156212.
What We Do
It is the early hours of the morning and a hospital urgently requires blood. Currently hospitals within Shropshire and Staffordshire have little choice but to call a local taxi company to collect and deliver the blood. The hospital would then be charged retail rates for this “service”, which can cost between £200-300 per trip!
That’s where we intend to help!
Just blood you say?
SSBB transport a variety of other urgent medical items in addition to blood products, including breast milk (Which is donated by women and used to feed premature babies). This is achieved using temperature controlled boxes attached to our bikes. Furthermore, we are also open to transporting other urgent items such as patient notes, electronic scan information and even small pieces of urgently needed surgical equipment.
Across the UK there are groups similar to ours operating for the benefit of their local area. Through co-operation between these groups, we link together to form the Blood Bike Network, which provides such a vital service up and down the country, saving the NHS money on taxis – and most importantly, saving lives!
The stated aims of the charity are:
1. To support the NHS* by the provision of out-of-hours secure courier transport for any urgent medical requirements, volunteer-supported and funded through private and public donation, primarily but not exclusively within Shropshire and Staffordshire.
2. To save the NHS money, which is currently diverted away from direct patient care.
3. To promote a positive image of the motorcycling community within wider society.
4. To promote safer riding standards.
* By assisting them in their mission of relieving sickness and protecting life and health, by the provision of wholly volunteer-supported out-of-hours transport for urgently-needed blood, drugs, human tissue, donated breast milk and any other urgent medical requirements, both between hospitals and to, or from, blood or human milk banks, together with scheduled collections from breast milk donors.
SSBB needs you!
With the ever increasing need for the NHS to save money but without compromising patient care, the demands upon the charity grow each year. SSBB needs to grow to meet this increasing demand. To do so, we need more volunteers, whether that be in the form of riders, fundraisers or controllers.
If you are interested in joining us then please go to our “Join Us” page to learn more!
If you have a question about any aspect of our group or our work, then please do not hesitate to get in touch, by going to the “Contact Us” page.